Offshore Energy
  • news
  • test
JobsNewsletter
Offshore Energy logo

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›CRMC Oversees Rock Removal Operation in Charlestown Breachway
Business & Finance

May 14, 2014 · about 12 years ago

CRMC Oversees Rock Removal Operation in Charlestown Breachway

The Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council oversaw the boulder removal and dredging in the Charlestown Breachway. The operation has made passage in and out of the channel and Ninigret Pond safe again for vessels. The work was funded with federal, state and town payment. Last week, crews f

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

The Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council oversaw the boulder removal and dredging in the Charlestown Breachway. The operation has made passage in and out of the channel and Ninigret Pond safe again for vessels. The work was funded with federal, state and town payment.

Last week, crews from Patriot Marine, LLC, and Specialty Diving Services, Inc., conducted the removal of 212 cubic yards of boulders, dredged material, and surveys of the channel to ensure correct depth and adequate rock removal. The total project cost is estimated at approximately $300,000, with a 75/25 percent federal/state match, including $70,000 in rock removal funds provided by the Town of Charlestown. The Federal Emergency Management Agency provided post-Sandy relief funds.

During Superstorm Sandy last year, many rocks and small boulders tumbled from the breakwater into the channel, posing navigational hazards for vessels. Immediately following Sandy, a sand bar also formed inside the mouth of the channel, according to Danni Goulet, marine infrastructure coordinator for CRMC.

“Many of the boulders were too large to be deposited back on the break water, or even lifted onto the barge,” said Danni Goulet, marine infrastructure coordinator for CRMC , “And were moved just off the beach on the west side of the breakwater in approximately eight feet of water, creating additional fish habitat. Those small enough for excavator to lift with its five-foot by five-foot bucket were put back on the breakwater.”

Work began last Wednesday night, and crews were under a tight deadline to finish the work before the weather deteriorated at the end of the week. Prior to dredging, areas of the channel were at some points four feet deep or less, and with some of the boulders presenting 3-5 feet of exposed rock in a 6-8 foot deep channel, that left little depth for passing vessels. The dredging and boulder removal will bring the channel depth to a much-safer 6-7 feet.

“It was already a bad situation, but Sandy made it dangerously unsafe,” Goulet said. “Two boats could not pass through safely before this week’s work. ”

“The Charlestown Town Council recognized the value of this project, both for safety and economic benefit,” said Steve McCandless, GIS coordinator for the town . “I’d like to thank the town council for allowing us to work with the state, for approving the funding and helping to get the work done in an expeditious manner.”

Reach the Offshore Energy industry in one go!

Offshore Energy is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Offshore Energy on:

Filed under

Business & FinanceEquipmentOperations & Maintenance

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1ADES jack-up rig pair lines up drilling jobs in Nigerian and UK waters
  2. 2Odfjell Drilling’s rig remaining with Norwegian oil & gas operator for another year
  3. 3Karoon boosts Brazilian field’s oil output with all wells now online
  4. 4TotalEnergies offloading Mexican shallow water block to Grupo Carso

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free