Offshore Energy
  • news
  • test
JobsNewsletter
Offshore Energy logo

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Royal Australian Navy Removes Suspect Object in Kiribati
Business & Finance

June 20, 2014 · about 12 years ago

Royal Australian Navy Removes Suspect Object in Kiribati

Royal Australian Navy clearance divers have successfully disposed of a suspect object in Betio Lagoon off South Tarawa, in the Republic of Kiribati. A team of Australian Defence Force personnel was sent to the Pacific island nation following the discovery of the suspect object beneath a sunken vesse

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Royal Australian Navy clearance divers have successfully disposed of a suspect object in Betio Lagoon off South Tarawa, in the Republic of Kiribati.

A team of Australian Defence Force personnel was sent to the Pacific island nation following the discovery of the suspect object beneath a sunken vessel that was being salvaged by commercial operators.

Six Royal Australian Navy clearance divers and a support team flew to the island nation last week on a Royal Australian Air Force C-130J Hercules aircraft following a request for assistance from the Kiribati Government.

Clearance Diving Team Leader, Chief Petty Officer Shaun Elliott, said murky waters and the substantial sea-growth on the object hindered positive identification.

“The best thing we could do was to dispose of the object,” Chief Petty Officer Elliott said.

“Tarawa was the site of an intense World War II battle where thousands of military personnel were killed or wounded.

“So the chance of finding unexploded ordnance is a very real possibility.

“There is no sense in leaving any doubt within the community, so we safely destroyed the object with a small explosive charge.

“This way the object can never cause any harm or be misidentified by people in the future.”

The disposal activity was conducted as part of Operation RENDER SAFE – the Australian Defence Force’s enduring commitment to the removal of explosive remnants of war which continue to pose a potential danger to communities across the Pacific.

Press Release, June 20, 2014

Reach the Offshore Energy industry in one go!

Offshore Energy is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Offshore Energy on:

Filed under

Business & FinanceOperations & Maintenance

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1ADES jack-up rig pair lines up drilling jobs in Nigerian and UK waters
  2. 2Odfjell Drilling’s rig remaining with Norwegian oil & gas operator for another year
  3. 3Karoon boosts Brazilian field’s oil output with all wells now online
  4. 4TotalEnergies offloading Mexican shallow water block to Grupo Carso

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free