Offshore Energy
  • news
  • test
JobsNewsletter
Offshore Energy logo

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Tendring Coastal Scheme Gathers Momentum
Business & Finance

March 10, 2015 · about 11 years ago

Tendring Coastal Scheme Gathers Momentum

Residents will get another opportunity to see beaches from Holland-on-Sea to Clacton spectacularly recharged with sand. The Sospan Dau vessel was back on site yesterday (Monday March 9) as phase two of the £36 million coastal protection scheme gathers momentum. The sand is literally being blown asho

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Residents will get another opportunity to see beaches from Holland-on-Sea to Clacton spectacularly recharged with sand. The Sospan Dau vessel was back on site yesterday (Monday March 9) as phase two of the £36 million coastal protection scheme gathers momentum.

The sand is literally being blown ashore in a massive rainbow effect to carry out the initial recharge which will begin on the area below Cliff Road where it finished phase one.

It will then move down to Clacton Pier and carry out the same process back up to opposite Hazlemere Road Car Park.

The aim will be to create the work platforms for the next set of fishtail groynes to be created. The rock delivery from Norway for the groynes will then begin mid-March with the complete project of 5kms to be finished before the end of 2015.

Nick Turner, Tendring District Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment and Coastal Protection , said the operation created a great deal of interest when it started last year.

“ It really is a sight to behold and we had thousands of visitors and residents going down to the seafront to watch and take photos ,” he said. “ It is quite a procedure and very impressive to witness. I expect it will get the same attention this time around.”

Leader of Essex County Council, Cllr David Finch , added: “ As the next phase of work gathers momentum, it is milestones like this that the local community can turn out and appreciate along the way. The project so far has resulted in impressive outcomes and we all look forward to the completion of this second phase. ”

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said that it has been delighted with the progress of the initial construction phase of the project. “ We are really pleased to see the Contractors back on site to complete the remaining works this year.”

The Sospan Dau will be working on the tide with the Lower Promenade fenced off for safety reasons. The project is being undertaken by VBA Joint Venture Limited and project managed by Mott MacDonald.

The first section of the work between Holland Haven to Fernwood Avenue was recently completed and the beaches opened back up to the public. The second phase will involve a further 15 fishtail groynes being built and the beaches between them being recharged.

[mappress mapid=”20091″]

Reach the Offshore Energy industry in one go!

Offshore Energy is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Offshore Energy on:

Filed under

Business & FinanceProject & Tenders

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1ADES jack-up rig pair lines up drilling jobs in Nigerian and UK waters
  2. 2Odfjell Drilling’s rig remaining with Norwegian oil & gas operator for another year
  3. 3Karoon boosts Brazilian field’s oil output with all wells now online
  4. 4TotalEnergies offloading Mexican shallow water block to Grupo Carso

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free