Offshore Energy
  • news
  • test
JobsNewsletter
Offshore Energy logo

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Equipment›Report: Saudi Aramco beefing up security on offshore facilities
Equipment

July 24, 2017 · about 9 years ago

Report: Saudi Aramco beefing up security on offshore facilities

Oil behemoth Saudi Aramco is reportedly set to award contracts to increase the security of its offshore oil and gas installation. Reuters on Monday reported, citing unnamed sources, that the oil company has already received bids from the likes of Raytheon, Rheinmettal, and General Dynamics for defen

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Oil behemoth Saudi Aramco is reportedly set to award contracts to increase the security of its offshore oil and gas installation.

Reuters on Monday reported , citing unnamed sources, that the oil company has already received bids from the likes of Raytheon, Rheinmettal, and General Dynamics for defense systems, and would award the contracts later this year.

Saudi Arabia last month reportedly thwarted what appeared to be an attack on an offshore oilfield in the country’s territorial waters.

The country’s government-run press agency said in June the Saudi naval forces had thwarted an attack on its offshore platforms in the Marjan field.

The press agency said that on Friday, June 16, three small boats, bearing red and white flags, had entered the Saudi territorial waters in the Arabian Gulf, heading “at speed” towards platforms of Saudi oil field of Marjan.

It then cited the an unnamed official who said: “Immediately, the Saudi naval forces fired warning shots, but the boats did not respond. Consequently, one of the boats was captured which was loaded with weapons for subversive purpose, while the other two escaped. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia stresses its determination to combat and eradicate terrorism and its sources, as a part of the country’s permanent objective to protect its national security against any external aggression.”

According to reports that followed , the Saudis claimed that the alleged assailants aboard the three vessels were Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps aiming to attack offshore installations. Iran has denied the accusations, saying there were no Iranian security forces in the area, and accusing the Saudi side of opening fire on Iranian fishermen.

Offshore Energy Today Staff

Reach the Offshore Energy industry in one go!

Offshore Energy is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Offshore Energy on:

Filed under

Equipment

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1ADES jack-up rig pair lines up drilling jobs in Nigerian and UK waters
  2. 2Odfjell Drilling’s rig remaining with Norwegian oil & gas operator for another year
  3. 3Karoon boosts Brazilian field’s oil output with all wells now online
  4. 4TotalEnergies offloading Mexican shallow water block to Grupo Carso

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free