Offshore Energy
  • news
  • test
JobsNewsletter
Offshore Energy logo

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Vessels›Dangerous cargo among 1,900 lost and damaged containers from ONE Apus
Vessels

December 3, 2020 · about 5 years ago

Dangerous cargo among 1,900 lost and damaged containers from ONE Apus

Some 40 containers of the estimated 1,900 boxes damaged or lost from ONE Apus containership earlier this week are believed to contain dangerous cargo, Ocean Network Express said in the latest update. The vessel was en route from Yantian, China to Long Beach, USA approximately 1,600 nautical miles No

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email
ONE boxship

Some 40 containers of the estimated 1,900 boxes damaged or lost from ONE Apus containership earlier this week are believed to contain dangerous cargo, Ocean Network Express said in the latest update.

The vessel was en route from Yantian, China to Long Beach, USA approximately 1,600 nautical miles North West of Hawaii on November 30, when it encountered a violent storm cell producing gale-force winds and large swells which caused the ONE Apus to roll heavily resulting in the dislodging of the lost containers.

Based on an early investigation onboard the ONE Apus, the impacted container bays remain unsafe for close-quarter inspections. Meanwhile from visual inspection, it is expected that the containers in the cargo hold are intact.

The 14,052 TEU containership, was built in 2019, by Japan Marine United, with a market value of $122.6 million.

The master diverted the vessel to ensure the ongoing safety of the crew and ship until conditions eased.

As informed, the Japanese-flagged boxship is now proceeding in a westerly direction towards Japan with plans to seek a suitable port to right unstable containers, assess any damages and determine the exact numbers of containers lost.

“Our focus remains on getting the ship to a safe port to ensure the ongoing safety of the crew, the vessel and the cargo on board,” Chidori Ship Holding LLC as owners and NYK Shipmanagement Pte Ltd as managers of the container vessel said.

A full investigation is set to be conducted into this incident in conjunction with the Flag State and the relevant maritime authorities.

Reach the Offshore Energy industry in one go!

Offshore Energy is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Offshore Energy on:

Filed under

Vessels

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1ADES jack-up rig pair lines up drilling jobs in Nigerian and UK waters
  2. 2Odfjell Drilling’s rig remaining with Norwegian oil & gas operator for another year
  3. 3Karoon boosts Brazilian field’s oil output with all wells now online
  4. 4TotalEnergies offloading Mexican shallow water block to Grupo Carso

Home of Energy Transition

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free